Saturday, January 12, 2008

And that was 2007! Welcoming '08


Hello community scattered,

Somehow our road trip through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and DC didn’t afford the mental space and free moments to write up a year-end letter as I hoped. Taking this belly on tour required a fair bit of energy. But “joy shared is doubled” indeed, and the much-anticipated weeks with our families and friends was a precious time of honoring the Christmas story and celebration and anticipation of the birth of our child. Mary’s pondering questions at the miracle within challenged and resonated in a new way this year, but I truly don’t envy that donkey ride.

In this email:
- So that was 2007.
- With child: Breathing Deep. Laying on of Hands.
- And now, ‘08


So that was 2007. Head shakes. “Was that just this year?,” Jess and I asked ourselves numerous times in recent months. The year started out predictably—program management with delegations to Colombia for each of us, trips to Venezuela for Jess, and human rights case work and a Summer Peacebuilding Institute (EMU) course for me. Then June plunged us into new intimacy with the uncertainty of physical vulnerability, wonder and awe with the Justapaz break-in, learning we were pregnant and a hike through the Peruvian Andes. In our interior lives we continue to process the shadows and mountain-tops of that period, or maybe it’s simply the first lesson in a 40-year (?) parenting journey beginning in a land of uncertainty. In any case, we’re trying to understand how to be both joyful for the child that will come through us, si Dios quiere, and grounded in the fragility of her life (Jess’ words). Our raw, heartbreaking love for this child already overwhelms us.

During the second half of the year, Jess took on additional responsibilities at Witness for Peace during a time of staff leave and turn-over. Somehow he fairly gracefully assumed the organizational development work and additional leadership when the ED went on maternity leave while he interpreted Venezuela’s fiery, impulsive President Chavez for North American audiences. I, Janna, worked to produce and publish our human rights and peace report, “A Prophetic Call,” do media work and advocacy. Following this intense period of office work, I had the privilege of being re-immersed in the life stories—the raw, unofficial version of Colombian reality—through monitoring visits throughout the country.

Feeling the new life within grow in strength as complex, painful tales mounted provided poignant moments for these parents-to-be.

We live in grace. Being aware of as much, we wake each day to try to strike a balance between living the beauty of life in abundance and struggling so that this same gift can be spread out a little further. In looking over the year, I glimpse how our clumsy efforts within the tide of the Spirit’s movement have brought us to this place. And I give thanks.


With child: Breathing Deep over the holidays. It’s rich! To share the excitement and joy of anticipated new life with our family and friends was nothing short of a sacred delight. During the quiet of night, chatter of baby showers, and the din of raucous game playing I breathe in deeply the comfort, wisdom, faith of ages, and deep, tender caring that surrounds us. A silent whisper—“Baby, may this breath become part of the very fiber of your being, your deepest knowing.”

Laying on of hands. In the US some family members asked if I mind when people touch my rounded belly. Come to think of it, not at all! It’s such a wondrously miraculous, awesome universal phenomenon, not to mention just plain bizarre at times, that sharing our experience seems totally natural. In fact, I’ve come to receive the pats and gentle touches as a kind of blessing for the child. Prayers are not verbalized or even conscious, but through the loving laying on of hands we are nurtured.

The blessing hands: Jess’ little nephews, ages three and five, stood with their smooth little hands resting on my hard belly, waiting patiently to feel the baby’s movements...Maria, my sister, held my stomach with ringed fingers and gave the baby enough kisses to tide it over until they meet a year from now (pictured, right)…The Christian symbol of the laying on of hands occurred to me with touch of the soft, deeply creased hands of this child’s great-grandmothers…And then in a “Blessingsway” shower of ritual and support to help prepare me for giving birth, Goshen College women friends led us in a guided meditation on hands as we held and explored each others…These are blessing hands.

And now, 2008. Anticipated dates: We’ll kick off the year with a new ACL for Jess. There is a tendon to be had at the Bogota donor bank, and surgery is scheduled for Monday, January 14th. I’ll go pick up the slightly used tendon in a cooler and deliver it to Jess in the operating room less than 12 hours after returning to Colombia.

If all goes smoothly, we look forward to welcoming the babe into the world March 3 or 4th, and a series of special guests to Bogota shortly thereafter—my parents, Jess’ mom, and a first-time visit from dear friends Deb, Zach and Johan Lewis-Landis. Our neighbors will be equally thrilled by these wild times in our small, two-bedroom, fifth-story apartment with no elevator.


Joy and hope, inspiration and endurance in the year to come!

Janna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually a cool and helpful piece of info. I'm satisfied that
you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
Thanks for sharing.

My weblog ... click the next website

Anonymous said...

Hello! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I
needed to ask. Does operating a well-established blog such as yours take a massive amount work?

I'm completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and feelings online.
Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips
for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Feel free to surf to my webpage ... break

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are really fastidious thing
if you are not understanding something completely, but this paragraph provides fastidious understanding yet.


Feel free to surf to my web-site; golfsandaler bite