Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Amara's May 1, Labor Day in Colombia

This message was composed May 1


Friends and Family,

In celebration of the social and economic achievements of the labor movement, here are a few images of the focus of my efforts, our source of great joy and endless amusement. It's no longer a mystery to me why some women choose to withdrawal from their career tracks to be w/ their children.

Today Amara, Jess, June Hunter (Jess' mom is visiting!) and I went downtown where thousands were participating in the annual Labor Day march/protest. A few rabble rousers showed up and challenged the police, "damaging the march," according to one Afro-Colombian organizer. A scuffle ensued. The tear gas stung. During the rowdiest moments of her short life, little Amara woke only momentarily to give me a perplexed look and then returned to her deep sleep. Her parents and "Nonna" were relieved.

As per the norm, even in her slumber and tucked into her "moby" carrier fair-skinned Amara with her button nose drew much attention. Frequently heard comments: "look, it's a real baby!" "she doesn't even look real!," "looks just like a doll!" One woman actually confessed that she thought to herself, "my, that woman is a little old to be carrying a doll around." (Confession: While Amara is likely unaware of all attention, it may be going to her mother's head.)

A note on the pictures. I took them last weekend, when Amara was 6.5 weeks old. Three failed attempts at purchasing a camera led cousins Aaron and Laura to loan us theirs for a weekend. We really appreciate it! (Yes, three times we've tried to give businesses our money so that they send us a camera, and no dice.)

A happy mom,

Janna








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I normally don't leave comments but I just thought I'd let you know that this blog is great. I write too, but I can't
write as well as you do. Here are some of my writings. If you want to look at them, if not it's ok. anyway, thanks.

Hunter Ceiling Fans
Choosing The Right Chainsaw
Reverse Phone Detective

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for all the great information on this blog. I don't have a blog yet but I'm writing for a website right now. I'm just very new to
the blogging and Internet writing thing, but if you want, you can check out some of my articles! Thanks a lot and I hope we can become
blogging buddies sometime when I start a blog.

World of Warcraft Goblin Race
Cutting Down Trees
Plants World